Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Responses to survey continued....

Ashley Lane -- Design and Management student at New School

1.) If you were at a farmers market and these objects were free, would you create one out of
reclaimed garbage?
1. No. I think this question is orded badly. If these objects were free, why would I recreate this with materials?

2.) Would you create one for yourself or for a friend/family member/child?
2. I would use the term recycled material rather than trash or garbage. But sure.

3.) Would it make you feel uncomfortable if you recieved one as a gift and were told it was made
of other peoples garbage?
3. I wouldn't if the person didnt market it aas someone elses trash. People are turned off to that sort of wordage. People appreciate the idea of "vintage" or "used". I was given a bag once that said it was made out of rice bag used by a village in Thailand that they used to create bags ith later. It as trash they created s something new. I am really doing the question below this.

4.) How could they be improved? See above.

5.) what would entice you to create one for yourself?
5. Nothing. I don't need a doll or a bag.

6.) What is your opinion of there design?
6. Doll 1 is weak. Bag has potential for this sort of market but if they are part of a freegan market, then people wont buy it anyways sinc eit is supporting capitalism. Doll 3 would probably sell but I dont know why. It reminds me of "ugly dolls"(an actual company) with earthy materials.

7.) What intrgues you about each design?
7. Nothing. I thought it was a mouth made out of trash. Second design: Cute, kind of hippy appeal and it has obvious use and there is a market for people with a bag that is environmentally sound. Last doll: Nothing. Why are there so many dolls?


Jane Hauptman --- Graduate of SFU -- Marine Biology Major

1.)No.

2.)Depends on what the waste materials were. Emphasis on what Andrew wrote, cleanliness as the biggest factor. If they were clean etc. I would consider making something for somebody else out of them, sure why not.

3.) I would have to know that the garbage was something not gross, cleanliness factor also important here.

4.) More detail is needed on the dolls. They are bland and do not convey any sort of amusement. I would consider making something other than a doll, because recycled garbage may not be the best "cuddle-buddy." Recycled bags are a good idea and they are already produced by many companies successfully.

5.) If the materials were cheap, sanitary, versatile, and interesting.

6.) I think the designs are juvenile and dumb. Sorry.

7.) I am not intrigued, but I am relieved that new material was not used to make them.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It seems that people re leaning towards the bag idea more so than a doll.
Wording is obviously a factor ( I worded it with an emphasis on garbage and trash purposely to see reaction), people want a clever disguise for recycled materials.

Interesting...
Proposal time I think :)
-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment